Following on to my adventures in creating multi-environment deployment processes with the new version of Data Dude (DBPro, VSTS Database Edition, whatever we’re calling it this week).
I’ve create a new configuration, copying all the settings from the Debug configuration. I’m adding a new Deployment configuration file and making a change. The deploy worked. Woo hoo! Now to get really funky. I’ll create a new “Sql command variables file:” and add a variable for setting the data directory. Now to deploy and… Urk! Failed. It’s not recognizing my variable.
Now I’m stuck. I’ve checked the syntax. It’s right. I double checked it all and reran deploy. Now it works… Color me confused. Whatever. Successful test. Time to create another configuration, simulating a QA server… Got that working too. I don’t know what went south yesterday, but it’s all working now. Now to quantify it all and begin to create some standards.
I’m also going to check this all into source control to see how the connection information is stored. In 2005/2008 (not GDR), the connection info was stored in the .user file. We finally started checking our .user files in with the rest of the project, to the abject horror of every MS developer that heard about it. More on this tomorrow.